There’s nothing like the smell and taste of Florida oranges to fast forward us from unpredictable April weather to the more reliable May sunshine.
Thanks to Aunt Michele for coming up with this wonderful spring recipe.
Barkeater Chocolates’ Citrus Surprise Layer Cake
Bottom Layer (Crust)
½ c. softened butter
1 c. sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 c. cocoa powder
½ c. flour
- Preheat oven to 350 & grease a 9” spring form pan.
- Cream butter & sugar.
- Add eggs, 1 @ time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla & mix.
- Add flour & cocoa & mix just to combine.
- Spread batter into pan & set aside.
Second Layer (Chocolate Cheesecake)
8 oz softened cream cheese
½ c. whole milk ricotta
¾ c. sugar
1/3 of 1 bar of Barkeater Chocolates’ Citrus Surprise, melted & cooled (Save the rest for later)
2 large eggs
1 Tbls flour
- Beat cheeses & sugar until smooth.
- Stir a small amount of cheese into chocolate.
- Put stirred chocolate into the cheese & blend.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time.
- Add flour & beat well.
- Pour batter over the bottom layer in pan.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Cover with foil & continue to bake another 15-20 minutes or until cake is set in center.
- Cool completely.
Third Layer (Mousse)
¾ c. heavy cream (whipped into stiff peaks)
8 oz mascarpone cheese
4 oz cream cheese
¼ c. sugar
¾ tsp vanilla
1 tsp unflavored gelatin / 1 Tbls cold water / 1 Tbls boiling water
- Beat both cheeses & sugar until smooth.
- Blend in vanilla.
- Gently fold whipped cream into cheese mixture to combine.
- In a cup soften gelatin in cold water for 1 minute.
- Pour boiling water into gelatin & stir until completely dissolved.
- Cool for about 4-5 minutes & fold into mousse until combined.
- Spread over the cooled cake & freeze for about 1 hour.
Top Layer (ganache)
2 & 2/3 bars of Barkeater Chocolates’
Citrus Surprise, chopped into small pieces
1 c. heavy cream
2 Tbls butter
1 (10-12 oz bag) mini chocolate chips
- Heat on stove or in microwave, heavy cream & butter until just boiling.
- Pour cream over chopped chocolate & let sit several minutes to soften.
- Stir to combine into a smooth icing.
- Cool for several minutes until a soft spreading consistency.
- Remove cake from freezer & remove side of pan.
- Spread ganache over the top & sides of cake & then immediately press mini chips into the side of the cake until completely coated.
Over the Top Layer
¾ c. heavy cream
1/3 c. confectioners’ sugar
2 Tbls cocoa powder
½ tsp orange extract
- Whip all ingredients into stiff peaks.
- Pipe cream around edge & center of top to create a professional look.
- Refrigerate for several hours before serving.